You are here
Terms & Conditions
By accessing this website, and any of its pages, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") set out below. If you do not agree with these Terms and Conditions, immediately exit from this website and do not access any other pages.
Acceptance of Terms and Conditions and Changes
- By accessing this website, and any of its pages, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions ("Terms and Conditions") set out below. If you do not agree with these Terms and Conditions, immediately exit from this website and do not access any other pages.
- Changes may be made at any time to this website, these Terms and Conditions, and the information contained herein, without prior notice to you. It is your responsibility to review these Terms and Conditions each time you enter this Web Site. Your continued use of this website shall constitute your acceptance to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and any changes thereto.
- References to Cancer Care Ontario ("CCO") in these Terms and Conditions shall include its directors, officers, employees, agents and other representatives.
- CCO is committed to respecting the personal privacy of individuals using our website. CCO only obtains personal information such as your name, phone number, e-mail or street address if you choose to supply it through our website or by contacting us via e-mail. The content of your message and your email address will not be disclosed to anyone except CCO staff, associates or partners who need the information in order to respond to your request. We do not use this information to create personal profiles. We do not distribute, provide or sell personal information voluntarily supplied by our website visitors to any third party.
- Unless otherwise stated at the time of collection, CCO will not sell or transfer your personal information to any other party without your approval, except that CCO reserves the right to disclose such personal information if such disclosure is made pursuant to a legal proceeding or otherwise required by law.
- CCO will not monitor, edit or deliberately disclose the contents of your private communications or files unless required to do so by law. Information collected by CCO is stored in a secure manner. However, you acknowledge that there are security and privacy limitations of the Internet which are beyond the control of CCO and that the security, integrity and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and CCO through this website cannot be guaranteed.
- At your request, CCO will provide reasonable access to your personal information submitted via this website and held by CCO and will allow you to update and/or correct your personal information to the extent that such updating and/or correction will not compromise CCO's privacy or security interests, subject to the understanding that, due to backups, it may be impossible to completely delete your personal information.
Site Usage and Security
- To monitor site usage and improve the quality of our website, CCO gathers information about the use of our site. We use Web server logs and industry-standard website statistics software to count the number of users who visit our website and to count the number of views of particular pages, as well as to track other general statistics about our Web site. The IP address of site visitors is also collected for the purpose of analyzing and generating statistics about site usage. An IP address is the number automatically assigned to the computer or to the ISP (Internet Service Provider) requesting a URL. Cancer Care Ontario cannot identify you from this information and this information is not disclosed to any third party.
- CCO employs safeguards to secure the information contained on and collected through this website, including your personal information. CCO secures the personal information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment, protected from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. Personal information is transmitted only through the use of encrypted protection.
- Personal Information submitted through CCO’s website will utilize secure encryption technology to help protect it and facilitate its arrival unread and unaltered at CCO's servers. However, users should be aware that Personal Information could be intercepted over the Internet. CCO is not responsible for the interception, collection, use or alteration of information transmitted over the Internet, such as by e-mail.
- For site security purposes, CCO uses software programs and analytic tools to monitor network traffic that identifies unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
Use of Website
- This website and the materials contained herein may be used for lawful purposes only. Materials from this website may not be copied or distributed, or republished, uploaded, posted, decompiled, or transmitted in any way, without the prior written consent of CCO except that you may download one copy of the materials on one computer for your personal, non-commercial home or archival use only and provided you do not delete or change any copyright, trade-mark, or other proprietary notices contained therein.
- All remarks, suggestions, ideas, graphics and other information (other than your personal information) communicated to CCO through this website will forever be the property of CCO unless otherwise noted.
- You acknowledge that you are responsible for whatever material you submit to this website, and you, not CCO, have full responsibility for the message, including its legality, reliability, appropriateness, originality, and copyright. You are prohibited from posting or transmitting to or from this website any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene or other material that would violate any law.
- You agree to comply with all applicable laws and regulations (including, without limitation, all Canadian and United States national, provincial, state and local laws and regulations) governing the use of this website.
- Evidence of the possible use of this Web site for illegal purposes will be provided to law enforcement authorities.
Disclaimer and Limitation of Liability
- WHILE CARE HAS BEEN TAKEN IN THE PREPARATION OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS WEBSITE, SUCH INFORMATION IS OBTAINED FROM A NUMBER OF SOURCES AND IS PROVIDED WITHOUT CHARGE. ANY SUCH INFORMATION IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY OR CONDITION, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, AS TO: QUALITY; ACCURACY; COMPLETENESS; LEGALITY; CURRENCY; RELIABILITY; EFFICACY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE; UNINTERRUPTED ACCESS TO THIS WEBSITE OR THOSE TO WHICH IT IS LINKED; ERROR-FREE OPERATION OF THIS WEBSITE OR THOSE TO WHICH IT IS LINKED; AND, THE ABSENCE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES AND OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS OR CORRUPTED DATA OR INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE OR THOSE TO WHICH IT IS LINKED.
- CCO AND ITS CONTENT PROVIDERS (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE PHYSICIANS AND PHARMACISTS WHO CONTRIBUTE TO THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE, AND IN PARTICULAR THE DRUG FORMULARY PORTION OF THIS WEBSITE) SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY, WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, CONTINGENT, SPECIAL OR INCIDENTAL, RELATED TO OR ARISING FROM THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER WEBSITES THAT ARE LINKED TO THIS WEBSITE OR THE USE THEREOF, WHETHER BASED ON BREACH OF CONTRACT OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), INCLUDING INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, STRICT LIABILITY, BREACH OF WARRANTY, FAILURE OF ESSENTIAL PURPOSE, FUNDAMENTAL BREACH, BREACH OF A FUNDAMENTAL TERM OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF.
- INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THIS WEBSITE IS INTENDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, IS NOT INTENDED TO CONSTITUTE MEDICAL ADVICE, AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON IN ANY SUCH REGARD. IT IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A COMPREHENSIVE OR DETAILED STATEMENT CONCERNING THE MATTERS ADDRESSED. CCO DOES NOT RECOMMEND OR ENDORSE THE USE OF ANY DRUG OR TREATMENT METHOD DESCRIBED IN THIS WEBSITE. ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY WEBSITES TO WHICH A LINK IS PROVIDED, SHOULD BE USED ONLY UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF AN APPROPRIATELY QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN.
- ANYONE USING THIS INFORMATION DOES SO AT HIS OR HER OWN RISK, AND BY USING SUCH INFORMATION AGREES TO INDEMNIFY CCO AND ITS CONTENT PROVIDERS FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, LOSS, INJURY, DAMAGES, COSTS AND EXPENSES (INCLUDING LEGAL FEES AND EXPENSES) ARISING FROM SUCH PERSON'S USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE, AND ANY INFORMATION ON WEBSITES LINKED FROM THIS WEBSITE.
- CCO WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR INJURY CAUSED BY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER VIRUS, OR LINE FAILURE. CCO WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR INJURY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE, THE MATERIALS ON THIS WEBSITE, EVEN IF CCO OR AN AUTHORIZED CCO REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Copyright and Trademarks
- The material contained on this website is protected by Canadian and other national and international copyright, trademark and other laws.
- CCO retains all copyright, trademark and all other rights in all material contained on this site, including all text and graphic images. No portion of this material may be used or reproduced, other than for personal use, or distributed, transmitted or "mirrored" in any form, or by any means, without the prior written permission of CCO.
- Certain names, words, titles, phrases, logos, icons, graphics or designs in the pages of this website, and those websites to which it is linked, may constitute trade names, registered or unregistered trademarks or service marks ("Trademarks") of CCO or of third parties that are used under license. The display of Trademarks on this website, and those to which it is linked, does not imply the grant of any license to any other party.
- Other than as expressly permitted herein or by written agreement of CCO, your use of any of the Trademarks that appear on this website is prohibited. You are advised that CCO will enforce its intellectual property rights to the fullest extent of the law, which may result in civil and/or criminal penalties.
Linked Web Sites
- This website includes links to other websites which are not maintained by CCO. Should you leave this website via a link contained herein and view content that is not provided by CCO, you do so at your own risk. Links to other websites are for convenience only and should not be construed as an endorsement or approval of such websites by CCO. CCO shall have no liability for any loss or damage arising from your use of any such website.
- CCO may terminate a link at any time.
Linking and Logo Policy
- By linking to any page on this website, you hereby agree to be bound by CCO's linking and logo policy as set out in these Terms and Conditions:
- Except as provided below:
- CCO prohibits caching, use or posting of unauthorized hypertext links to this website and the framing of any content available through this website.
- You are prohibited from linking to any page on this website other than the CCO home page or a page designated and approved by CCO as communicated to you by CCO in writing.
- You are prohibited from embedding any content from this website into your website and any link to this website must open a new browser window.
- Links to this website may be by text only and may only read "Cancer Care Ontario or "CCO". Images of the CCO logo for linking purposes may only be made with the express permission of CCO. Any requests for such permission or for permission to link to this website in a manner other than as permitted in these Terms and Conditions should be addressed to:
Cancer Care Ontario
620 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5G 2L7
Tel: (416) 971-9800
Online: Contact form
- By linking to this website, you acknowledge and agree that, other than as set forth herein, all rights to the Trademarks used on this website, the materials appearing on this website and the design of this website belong to CCO or its licensors.
- You must not misrepresent your relationship with CCO or present false or misleading impressions about CCO. No links to this website or a page of this website may be used in a manner that implies or suggests that CCO approves or endorses you, your website or your goods and services (except as CCO may have agreed separately with you in writing). You agree not to alter any materials found on this website.
- CCO shall have no responsibility or liability for any content appearing on your website. You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold CCO harmless against all claims arising out of or based upon your website.
- No link(s) may appear on any page on your website or within any context containing content or materials that may be interpreted as libelous, obscene or otherwise unlawful, or which infringes, otherwise violates, or advocates the infringement or other violation of, any third party rights.
- CCO reserves the right at any time and in its sole discretion to request that you remove all links or any particular link to this or any other CCO website or a page of this or any other CCO website from your website.
- Subject to your compliance with these Terms and Conditions, CCO agrees to grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free license to use the "CCO" or "Cancer Care Ontario" name solely for the purpose of establishing any permitted link hereunder. Except for the limited license to use the "CCO" or "Cancer Care Ontario" name as set forth in this paragraph, you may not use any of CCO's trademarks for any reason without the prior written permission of CCO. CCO may, at any time and in its sole discretion, without cause, terminate the license granted herein to use the "CCO" or "Cancer Care Ontario" name and your right to link to any page on this and/or any other CCO website. Upon CCO's request, you shall immediately remove all links to the relevant page on this and/or any other CCO website and cease using the "CCO" or "Cancer Care Ontario" name for linking purposes. Thereafter, any future links to a page on this or any other CCO website will require the prior written permission of CCO.
- These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario, and you irrevocably attorn to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ontario.
- Except as described otherwise, all materials in this site are made available only to provide information about CCO and its services. CCO controls and operates this website from its offices in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. CCO makes no representation that materials on this website are appropriate or available for use in other jurisdictions. Anyone accessing this website from other jurisdictions assumes sole responsibility for compliance with local laws.
- These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement between CCO and you pertaining to your use of this website.
- CCO may terminate your use of this website immediately with or without notice if, in its sole judgment, you breach any of these Terms and Conditions. Upon termination, you must destroy all materials obtained from this website and all related documentation and all copies thereof. You may not access this website after such termination without the written approval of CCO.
- CCO's failure to enforce any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not be construed as a waiver of such provision.
- These Terms and Conditions shall bind and enure to the benefit of both parties and their respective successors, heirs, executors, administrators, personal representatives and permitted assigns.
- You shall not assign your rights or obligations hereunder without CCO's prior written consent.
- If any part of these Terms and Conditions is unlawful, void, or unenforceable, that part will be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
Rules for Engagement
- CCO actively monitors accounts from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- CCO will respond to questions posted via social media within 48 hours during its active business hours as outlined above. Where additional conversation is required, CCO will invite commenters to follow up via telephone or email.
Acceptable Content and Privacy Considerations
- Social media sites, tools or channels are or involve third-party service providers for CCO which are not affiliated with CCO. Users are encouraged to read the privacy policies and terms and conditions of use of each relevant social media site, tool or channel.
- CCO understands your desire to be informed and provide feedback to CCO. In order to protect your privacy, it is recommended that you exercise caution in deciding what to post on social media. If you wish to discuss information that might be sensitive in nature, then please call us at 1-855-460-2647 or send an email to email@example.com.
- To protect your own privacy and that of others, CCO recommends that you not include personal information (as defined in section 2(1) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act) or personal health information (as defined in section 4 of the Personal Health Information Protection Act) in your comments or in the content you post. Examples of such information include, but are not limited to, medical diagnosis or health insurance information.
- CCO will allow comments and other content from users to appear on or through its social media sites, tools or channels, including without limitation comments and content submitted or posted by any means and in any media unless CCO determines, in its sole discretion that the comments and content:
- provide information or opinions that are unrelated to CCO or the issue being discussed;
- provide any information that may identify a third party;
- pose a risk to your privacy, the privacy of others, and/or are not in accordance with CCO’s privacy standards and/or obligations;
- relate to a specific individual;
- discuss an ongoing investigation;
- make false or unsubstantiated allegations;
- are or may be aggressive, abusive, obscene, profane, hateful, harassing or threatening;
- may abuse or infringe any intellectual property right;
- are or may be defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- constitute spam;
- advertise or solicit business;
- breach or may breach any law, statute, regulation, order, code, standard or rule;
- are or may be unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
- CCO may restrict a user’s use of its social media sites, tools or channels if CCO determines in its sole discretion that the user is:
- impersonating another person;
- allowing any other person to use the user's identification for posting or viewing comments or content;
- breaching or may breach any law, statute, regulation, order, code, standard or rule;
- engaging, or may engage, in activity which is unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
Other Important Information
- CCO will share news, links, personal observations and information about health services in Ontario that CCO considers relevant to CCO’s mission.
- All comments posted are the opinion of the writer, not CCO.
- You agree not to upload viruses or other malicious code.
- Following, responding, retweeting, sharing, accepting a friend request or commenting on the part of CCO does not imply endorsement or establishment of a partnership between CCO and a specific user, company or organization.
- The submitter of comments and content is fully responsible for the comments and content posted; CCO is in no way responsible for such comments and content nor for any information, references, links, opinions, claims, or advice in such comments and content, nor to collect, review, use, update, edit, retain, return, dispose of, share, circulate, act on, consider, or respond to, any such comments and content.
- CCO in no way verifies or confirms the accuracy of user comments or any aspect of posted content. CCO does not review any references or links in any content and is not responsible for any content of any document referred to or site linked.
- Spelling and grammatical errors will not be corrected.
- Information posted to our social media channels may be considered official feedback and CCO may utilize this feedback to inform change and improvement.
- Certain CCO employees, volunteers or partners have accounts on various social media. Despite their professional affiliation with the CCO, their posts do not represent the official position of CCO. They are to be considered instead as the personal product of private citizens.
- CCO reserves the right to make additions and amendments to these terms, which will be posted publicly on CCO’s website.
- No remedy herein conferred upon or reserved in favour of CCO shall exclude any other remedy existing at law or in equity or by statute, but each shall be cumulative and in addition to every other remedy given hereunder or now or hereafter existing.
- By using any of CCO’s social media sites, tools or channels (including without limitation by posting any comment or content), each user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless each of CCO and CCO's employees, agents, officers and directors, from any liability, losses, damages, claims, demands or expenses, including without limitation professional and other fees and expenses, arising out of such user’s access to or use of any CCO social media site, tool or channel, any comments or content posted and/or any breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- Our overarching data and privacy statement can be found on the Privacy page.
- CCO’s social media accounts are not staffed by clinicians and CCO is not able to provide clinical information or advice over social media.
- You agree that in no event will CCO have any responsibility or liability for any loss or damage whatsoever, whether based in contract, negligence, or other legal basis, including without limitation consequential, exemplary, indirect, special or incidental damages, arising from or in connection with your use of or access to any CCO social media site, tool or channel, even if CCO has been advised of the possibility of such damage or loss.
Formal complaints and concerns about CCO should be sent to:
- If you have any issues and/or questions with respect to these Terms and Conditions or any rule, policy, guideline or practice which CCO uses to operate this website, please contact us via the online contact form and we will be happy to respond.